Monday, September 8, 2014

Asking Questions and Explaining Concepts - The Gospel Education Cycle

Here's how this blog works; if I understand a concept (or at least think I do), I explain it to the best of my ability; if I don't understand a topic, but want to blog about it anyway, I speculate, sharing what little I know on the subject, then using logic to figure out the rest. As I speculate and suppose and look up information, I usually learn a little bit more about the subject than I previously knew, though I usually still don't understand it. As I explain topics that I already understand, I find that I understand them better and better. In our church, it's said that a person who gives a talk feels like they learn more from it than anyone who hears them do. That's sometimes also true for our blogs. So, if I understand something, I explain it. If I don't, I ask.

This, in my opinion, is a good method for multiple individuals to share knowledge. As people tell each other "I understand this," or "I don't understand that," and explain, in as great detail as possible, what they do or don't understand, they're able to share insights and ideas with each other, the pieces start coming together, and everyone's knowledge improves on virtually every topic they cover.

Learning and teaching gospel principles wasn't one of the reasons I started this blog. I started it partly for typing practice, but mostly because God told me to. Before that, it was just a place where Mom posted the messages I sent back home while I was on my mission. I'm not sure what all reasons there were for God asking me to start blogging again. Maybe teaching and learning gospel principles were some of His reasons. I'd also guess that my blogging habit is supposed to compliment my daily scripture study, which hasn't been happening. I'm sure that for some of the questions I've asked on my blog, the answers can be found in the scriptures. And already, some of the insights I've found in the scriptures have been shared on my blog. That would be a good cycle for me to continue - to ask questions and find answers, and share my thoughts on my blog. Of course, that'd mean that I'd have to start reading scriptures again, which will take a little bit of effort and planning, but it's doable, and it's a good habit to get back into.

I think I've said before that this blog is really for my benefit, and it is. It helps me to understand the gospel better, and it encourages me to make good choices, like studying the scriptures more regularly. If you, my readers, get anything out of it, that's great. In the gospel of Jesus Christ, but the teacher and the listener are edified, and both are brought closer to Christ.

No comments: