Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Being Born Again - A Life-long Process

Yesterday, a Christian, after learning that I was a Christian, asked me if I felt I had been "born again." That was a difficult question for me to answer, because in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we don't really talk about being "born again" much. I'm not even 100% sure what the phrase means.

"Born again" suggests some form of rebirth, similar to what we experience as we become converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, or so I would imagine. The trouble is that being converted, which we do talk about frequently, is an ongoing process. You don't just become converted, and then you're done. Baptism is an important milestone in becoming converted, and it signifies a form of rebirth, but it is by no means the end of the conversion process. I have been baptized, but I wouldn't say that I have been conclusively "born again."

I answered that I hadn't been born again, but that I was being born again. The process had certainly started. It started at my baptism, if not earlier, but it hadn't been completed yet, nor do I imagine that it ever will be - not in this life, anyway. Being born again, as I understand it (which I don't), is a process in which we become more like God, and I'm not done doing that yet. I have a lot more progress to make before I stop. I have made a significant amount of progress, I'll admit, but I'm not going to sit back and say "Well, I've been 'born again' now. I guess I'm done trying to become more like my Heavenly Father." Not ever. There's always going to be more progress to make before I become exactly like Him, partly because He's constantly making progress, too.

That's what life is all about - making progress. Growing. Becoming stronger, better people. I'm still working on becoming a better person, and I think I always will be. Have I been "born again?" Yes. Am I done being "born again?" Never.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

'Have I been "born again?" Yes. Am I done being "born again?" Never.'
Well said!
We were born again and like all newborns we have a lot of growing to do. We are as children learning to be like our Father.