Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Review to Remember

I almost always take notes in class, and I always take notes in General Conference, but from what I'm learning in my Pathway class, taking notes by itself isn't as effective as taking notes and reviewing them. It goes along with the principle of repetition, which President Uchtdorf taught is "a law of learning." We often need to hear something multiple times over a period of time for the message to really sink in. I'm sure that many of you are planning to take notes in General Conference. I'd encourage you to take it a step further and review your notes sometime after Conference.

D.J. Teichert, author of Lest They Forget, an article on byui.edu, recommends reviewing notes immediately after the class or lecture, 24 hours later, one week later, and a month later, for optimal retention. The Cornell Note-Taking system encourages reviewing your notes once a week. This may seem excessive, if not impossible, and I don't expect you to commit that kind of time to studying your General Conference notes, but I am sure that if you review your notes at least once after Conference, you'll get more out of them than if you don't.

No comments: