Wednesday, February 12, 2020

A Better Person?

Today, someone asked me if I thought I was a better person today than I was in the past. I dodged the question, saying that, to answer it, I would need to have a lot of introspection and I would need to have had a lot of introspection. I would need to know how good I was then and how good I am now to notice any difference. But the thing is, I'm not sure there is a difference.

Sure, I'm a decent person, but I've been a decent person about as long as I can remember. Am I more decent now than I used to be? I'm not sure I can tell. I'd like to think that I've become better over time. The whole concept of Eternal Progression is built on such an assumption. The hope is that people gradually improve over time. But do we?

It may be that the change is too slow for people to detect, especially when one is talking about themselves. It may be like that boiling from scenario, only instead of boiling, we're becoming better people. I could hope that that's the case. Anyhow, I am, thankfully, not the judge of my soul anyway. Still, it would be nice to look for signs to indicate whether I'm making any moral progress or not.

No comments: