Wednesday, February 5, 2020

An Act of Kindness

Tonight, I gave the players of the D&D game I run the opportunity to show me a window into their characters' souls. Specifically, I told the players that their characters had been asked to act out circus performances portraying their most heroic feats. Most of them demonstrated their skill at combat, archery, or spellcraft, showing how strong and powerful they are and how easily they can hit their targets. Yet, one of the players did something different. Instead of showing off a time he proved he was powerful, this character revealed a time when he was kind.

I enjoyed that moment when it happened, and I enjoy it even more now that I'm looking back on it. It shows just how kind, how caring, and how Good that character is. That's the kind of D&D character I would like to play and be like. That's the kind of Paladin I want to be. Not just strong and capable, but more importantly, Good. I want goodness and kindness to be my defining traits, and if I am to be judged (and I know I will be), I want to be judged for an act of kindness, and I don't want it to be an act.

This reminds me of the Hymn "A Poor, Wayfaring Man of Grief", particularly the last few lines of the last verse: "These deeds shall thy memorial be. Fear not; thous didst them unto Me." For several dozen NPCs, one of the few things they know about that character is that he is kind. I want that to also be true for me.

No comments: