Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Clarke Quotes Korsaren

In April 1982, J. Richard Clarke, then Second Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric, gave a talk titled The Value of Work, in which we quoted Korsaren, whoever/whatever Korsaren is/was. According to the Wikipedia, Korsaren is/was "a Norwegian satirical magazine" but for some reason, I don't think a person would quote that in General Conference. Anyhow, the quote (after any applicable translations) went something like this:

If you are poor, work. … If you are happy, work. Idleness gives room for doubts and fears. If disappointments come, keep right on working. If sorrow overwhelms you, … work. … When faith falters and reason fails, just work. When dreams are shattered and hope seems dead, work. Work as if your life were in peril. It really is. No matter what ails you, work. Work faithfully. … Work is the greatest remedy available for both mental and physical afflictions.

According to Korsaren, and apparently J. Richard Clarke, work is somewhat of a panacea. I don't know how much of this is true (not by personal experience, anyway), but I intend to try and find out. The part of it that I can personally testify of is "Idleness gives room for doubts and fears." I have many doubts and fears and I have been mostly idle. I'd like to change both of those things, and if they're connected, maybe I can change them both at once. Anyway, I'd like to find out. And the best way I can think of to try to kill those two birds with one stone is to test the Korsaren's suggestion. I'm going to go out and do some work before it gets too hot. Let's see how it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I as well was looking for what or who Korsaren is and was not satisfied with what Wikipedia offered when I came across your post. I can only guess that you must also be in the Pathway program and thus your interest in this fairly old talk.

I was amused at your (hopefully) tongue in cheek reference to not knowing about the benefits of work. I can offer you my testament that work is a very potent remedy.

Since I don't know you personally, I'll just cruise around your blog a little and maybe find the answer!

Andrew Robarts said...

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not involved in the Pathway program. In fact, I'm not even sure what that is.

As for my reference to not knowing the benefits of work, I meant that I do not know ALL the benefits of work, and I cannot say from any personal experience that "No matter what ails you, work. ... Work is the greatest remedy available for both mental and physical afflictions." -J, Richard Clarke. In my own defense, however, I can say that I'm fortunate to know at least SOME of the benefits of work, and that work is indeed a good cure for many problems.