Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Self-Image With the Spirit

In Gospel Essentials class last Sunday, we learned about the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and we talked about the blessings we receive when the Holy Ghost is with us. One of the class members said that he didn't feel like himself unless the Holy Ghost was with him. He said that this was probably because the Holy Ghost testifies of truth - the truth about God, Jesus Christ, and perhaps even ourselves. When we're inspired by the Holy Ghost, we can see ourselves as we really are.

I often don't see myself the way Heavenly Father must see me. I have poor self-esteem. I don't feel like I have great potential, even though I know that, technically, everyone has the potential to become like Him. I know that I have potential, and that God must be able to see it in me, but I can't see it in myself.

But maybe that's not what the class-member meant when he said that he doesn't feel like himself without the Spirit. I've thought of another way one could interpret that phrase. What if he does have a good self-image? Maybe he sees himself as a righteous person that tries to keep the commandments, that tries to follow the influence of the Spirit, and thus always has the influence of the Spirit to guide him. Maybe having the Spirit with him has become such a part of his daily life that it's part of how he sees himself. So, if he loses the Spirit (temporarily, I'm sure), that contradicts with his self image so much that he doesn't feel like himself.

That'd be a good self-image to have, in my opinion, as long as he's not self-righteous about it. I'd like to feel that way about myself. I'd like to be more righteous than I am and have the Spirit with me more, so much so that having the Spirit with me becomes part of who I am and how I see myself.

No comments: