Monday, July 29, 2013

Short Post on Faith - The Man That Pulls the Curtains

Last weekend, I help my dad do the lights for a Brighten (Am I spelling that right?) Ward musical called, The Way. To help me know when to do what, Dad followed the script and kept in touch with me using wireless headsets, but I had it easy - I could see the whole play as I did my part with the lights. There was another person who was also part of our team who didn't have that advantage. His job was to pull the curtains.

Because of the way the curtain controls are situated, you can't adjust the curtains and see them at the same time. To let the curtain guy know when to open or close the curtains how much, Dad kept in touch with him as well via the same walkie-talkie system.

As we did the lights and curtains for this musical, I thought of how much the man pulling the curtains represented each of us. We so often have so little idea of what we're doing. We know we should keep the commandments, but we don't always know why each commandment is given. Sometimes, a certain commandment makes sense to us. We're commanded not to smoke or drink. One look at the results on those who do will tell us why. But other commandments may not be as straight-forward. For those commandments, we're behind the curtains, being asked to pull a certain rope a certain amount, and we don't have a full understanding of why we're being asked to do that. When we're given those kinds of commandments, we have to take the advice with faith, because faith is all we have.

***

I feel like I ought to write more, but that's really all I have to say on this subject/analogy, and my blog posts tend to run pretty long anyway. Maybe that's why I feel this one should be longer. But reading extra-long blog posts takes time that some of my potential readers don't have. Perhaps I ought to write some shorter blog posts, especially when I don't have all that much to say. On the other hand, how can my readers know which posts are mile-long and which ones are bite-size? I suppose including "short" in the post's title would be a good indicator, but I'd have to remember to add it, and there are several past short blog posts that don't have "short" in their title.

I think I'm over-thinking this. Just glance at the post and compare it to how much time you have. If it's short enough (and looks interesting), read it. If it's too long (or boring), skip it. I'm sorry that this'll mean that some of the people who would read my blog won't get to read all my posts, but life is too short to read everything. Sometimes you have to pick and choose. I won't be offended if you choose not to read many of my blog posts. In fact, I'll probably never know.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

Again, I am impressed by your ability to see the message/analogy in every day things, to learn from simple, common things. The Lord told us that "all things testify of me". Some of us do not have "eyes to see" and "ears to hear" as well as we should. I am grateful to have you help me see what I otherwise would probably miss. Good post

Don't worry about how long or short your blog post is. Or about alerting the reader. We can see if it is long or not. Once we start reading, we can tell if we are interested. You just write from your heart and let it be what it is. Don't apologize. Don't worry.

Teresa said...

Ditto mom's comment, and Brighton is the spelling I see most often, FYI.

:-)