Friday, July 26, 2013

Lesson Prep - Fasting

Since the class I'll be teaching is the Gospel Essentials class, geared toward new members and progressing investigators, I'll need to cover the basics of Fasting before going into anything deep or insightful. The good news is that, for covering the basics, I can read lines straight out of the manual.

Since the time of Adam, God’s people have fasted to help them draw near to Him and to worship Him.

Fasting means to go without food and drink [usually for 24 hours, skipping two meals].

The Savior taught us that purposeful fasting is more than just going without food and drink. We must also concentrate on spiritual matters.

Prayer is a necessary part of fasting. Throughout the scriptures, prayer and fasting are mentioned together. Our fasting should be accompanied by sincere prayer, and we should begin and end our fasting with prayer.

That all should explain pretty well what Fasting is and how we do it. Later sections in this chapter explain why we do it.

We Should Fast with a Purpose

Fasting can have many purposes. We can overcome weaknesses or problems by fasting and praying. Sometimes we may wish to fast and pray for help or guidance for others, such as a family member who is ill and needs a blessing. Through fasting we can come to know the truth of things just as did the prophet Alma in the Book of Mormon.

We can fast to help others embrace the truth. Fasting can help comfort us in times of sorrow and mourning. Fasting can help us become humble and feel closer to our Heavenly Father.

Or, in fewer words, we can fast for any special blessing we want, including to simply draw closer to God.

The next section in the manual teaches something that I'll probably teach in reverse. So far, the manual is under the assumption that we can fast anytime we want, and this section teaches that, in addition to our own special fasts, there's a day set each month as a Fast Sunday, when all members who are able are supposed to fast. I'll probably teach it backwards. In addition to our monthly fast on Fast Sunday (including a week from the day I'll be giving the lesson), we can also fast any time we want, whenever we feel the need for special blessings. Though, for health reasons, we probably shouldn't fast more than once a week.

Which leads me pretty smoothly to another point; Some people can't fast. Sometimes, there are health problems that prevent a full fast. At that point, I'll share a story that I thought for sure was posted in a recent edition of the Ensign, but when I found it on LDS.org, the website said the article was published in 1982, which means it was "recently published" before I was born. And I had thought for sure I had read it in an actual paper-and-staples magazine. No matter, I'll share it anyway.

The Spirit of Fasting

I am hypoglycemic, and like a diabetic I cannot go for a lengthy period of time without eating. For almost four years I felt as though I couldn’t fully participate on fast Sunday. From time to time I would try to fast, but would become ill. Yet I ached to obtain the strength one receives as he controls his bodily appetites to receive the things of the Spirit. I felt that it wasn’t fair to be afflicted with this condition; surely I and others with similar problems needed to reap the same blessings as those who were able to fast.

Recently an idea came to me about how I could fast and not go without food. I refrain from partaking of unnecessary food, like potato chips, cookies, or other snack-type items. I partake only of wholesome, life-sustaining food, and I eat only amounts needed to keep me from becoming ill. I have found that this not only gives me a sense of accomplishment, but allows me to feel that I am putting my appetites in subjection to spiritual things.

By following the spirit of the fast this way, I’ve found myself nourished by the Spirit of the Lord.

- Catherine D. Coltharp, Lompoc, California

I've printed up a copy that I can fold up and put with my Gospel Principles manual. Man, the church's website is awesome.

How long is this blog post getting? I should probably wrap this up soon, even though there's another section or two to go in the manual. I'll share the next section really quickly, and I'll blog about the last section tomorrow.

Fast Offerings

When we fast each month, the Lord asks us to help those in need. One way we do this is by giving through the proper priesthood authority the money we would have spent on food for the two meals. We should give as generously as we are able. Through our fast offerings we become partners with the Lord in administering to the needs of our less-fortunate brothers and sisters. [Also, our Fast Offerings stay in the area, in case you were wondering.]

That all should have the basics pretty well covered. The last section is about the blessings we get when we fast, and there's a sub-section in it about increasing self-control. I'll want to share my personal insights on that and bare my testimony about it. ALSO! I totally forgot that the Sacrament Meeting portion of Fast Sunday is a Fast and Testimony meeting! I'll probably want to throw that in some time during the talk.

Thanks so much for helping me prepare for this lesson. It think it's going to go very well. ^^

No comments: