Sunday, April 20, 2014

An Easter Testimony

In part because I don't have much time to blog this morning, as I have to go get ready for church pretty soon, and in part because it's Easter (Happy Easter, by the way), I decided that the most fitting thing to do this morning would be to share a nice, simple testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ. To help me with that, I was fortunate enough to find this image on Facebook.




This quote was given on April 6 of this year, and while April 6 is a special and sacred day for many reasons, Easter is plenty special and sacred, too, so I figure that the quote still fits for today. Plus, I'm sure Elder Bednar's testimony isn't dependent on what day it is, and neither is mine.

I love Jesus Christ. He is my Savior and my Redeemer. My Counsellor and my Friend. He heals, protects, and strengthens me. I have a strong desire to follow Him and His commandments because I know that He loves me and that He's trying to help me become the best person I can be. I want to become more like Him. And I know that through His help and guidance, I can become more like Him. With His help, I can reach my full potential and become a greater, wiser, and in all other ways better person than I can currently imagine myself being. Because of what He and His Father have taught me through their prophets and apostles, I know I have the potential to become just as wonderful as They are, and that helps me to feel that there's at least one worth-while purpose to my life. We all can become as kind and loving as our Savior, and the attempt to reach that potential is reason enough to make life worth living. I've once heard that the whole idea of Mormonism is improvement, and that sounds like a pretty good purpose to me. But I'm getting off topic.

I know that Jesus lives. I don't know it because I'm a personal witness of it (because I'm not one), but because sources that I trust are. I know it's true because they know it's true, and that's good enough for me. There is also the matter of the internal witness, prompted by the testimony of the Holy Ghost. I know in my heart that Jesus that He lives and that He loves each of us. I hope that you have such a testimony. If not, I hope you get one today. Today is a good day for testimonies.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

You have me wondering what does it mean to be a personal witness of Christ or to have a personal witness? Do you have to have SEEN Him yourself? I don't think so. I think that to be a called special witness like the apostles, you probably have, but maybe not.
In his April Conference 1985 talk "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane" Bruce R. McConkie said
"I am one of his witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears.
"But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God’s Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."
He had not yet felt the Savior's wounds, but he had a sure knowledge. Had he SEEN the Savior but not touched Him? Or did he know by the power and witness of the Holy Ghost?
I think that when we have a personal testimony and have felt the witness of the spirit, we can be personal witnesses of the Savior. Not apostolic special witnesses, but personal.