Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Choice of Obedience

I tried to blog this morning, but it ended up being a rant - too long to be worth reading, too angry to be spiritual, and too personal to share. Ergo, I'm going to try to find something slightly inspirational on Facebook or Youtube, share it, comment on it, and call that my blog post for today.

While looking for an image/quote to blog about, I found an image/quote I said I'd eventually blog about. Go figure.



Whenever I don't know what to do, I try to find out what God wants me to do - not because I'm a mindless automaton, which I'm not, or because I desperately need guidance, which I do, but because God wants what's best for me and He knows how I can get it, even when I don't even know what's best for me, let alone how to get it. Essentially, I trust His judgment much more than I trust my own.

Elder Perry also mentioned power as part of the equation. I'm not sure how God's omnipotence fits in with our choice to be obedient, unless it's that when we choose to do what He asks, He often helps us, enabling us to do more than what we could do with our limited power on our own. Or in other words, we achieve more when we follow God than when we try to do things our own way, and that makes sense just from a teamwork standpoint, even without considering that the other member of this team is God.

Obedience is a choice between what we want to do and what God wants us to do, which is sometimes a difficult choice to make, especially in the moment. What we need to remember is that what we want isn't always what's best for us, but God is wise enough to know what's best for us and is kind enough to give us the directions we need. His suggestions/commandments may not be popular or appreciated, but they're always the right decisions to make and they're far less likely to lead to regrets.

No comments: