Saturday, April 19, 2014

Listening to Spirits

Every once in a while, I find myself being sort of half way to thinking about blogging about something, just because I have to blog about something, when suddenly, I have a jaw-droppingly eye-opening revelatory event, which I feel that I just HAVE to blog about right away. Elder Nelson can wait another day or two. Right now I need to blog about a tree.

Just a few minutes ago, I was getting some breakfast and quoting a Disney movie to myself (which is what I do sometimes when I talk to myself), and it suddenly struck me how much truth was in what I was quoting. In Disney's 1995 film, Pocahontas, the title character tells a sentient tree a dream she had had about a spinning arrow, and this conversation (taken from Wikiquote) followed:

Grandmother Willow: Hmm. Well, it seems to me, this spinning arrow is pointing you down your path.
Pocahontas: But, Grandmother Willow, what is my path? How am I ever going to find it?
Grandmother Willow: Your mother asked me the very same question.
Pocahontas: She did? What did you tell her?
Grandmother Willow: I told her to listen. All around you are spirits, child. They live in the earth, the water, the sky. If you listen, they will guide you.

The mind-blowing thing is that there are spirits all around us, and they are trying to guide us. I don't know about them being in the earth, water, and sky, and I highly doubt that all spirits are trying to guide us down the same path, but I do believe that there are spirits around us, and that many of them are trying to guide us each down our the path that God has laid out for us. They trouble that they face is that all they can do is whisper. They need us to listen intently, and to listen to the right spirits rather than the wrong ones.

It's comforting to think that we're not alone in the world, and that when we need guidance, we can get it if we listen. I, like Pocahontas, would like to know what my path is. Perhaps I should follow Grandmother Willow's advice and listen.

No comments: