Friday, April 25, 2014

If Ye Trust Me, Keep My Commandments

I was about to blog about obedience to commandments, specifically that we don't need to understand the reasons for God's commandments to know that we should obey them, citing that I have very little medical knowledge, but I know basic first aid thanks to the Boy Scout Handbook. For example, I'm still not sure what Shock is, but I know how to treat it. I don't know what the treatment does or how it works, but I'm pretty sure that it works. My hesitation in using that example to illustrate obedience to commandments is that my book, apparently, is outdated.

My copy of the Boy Scout Handbook recommends, as treatment for choking, a method that I've heard may make the victim's choking worse. This led to a brief discussion on how rapidly we update our medical knowledge, leading to the recommended methods being revised and updated frequently. I've taken a handful of CPR courses, and as far as I can remember, I don't think I've received the exact same instructions twice. So, what is the best way to treat someone who's choking or whose heart or breathing has stopped? I don't know. I haven't checked with the medical experts recently enough to be sure.

So, this may be a bad example of why we should obey God's commandments even if we don't understand them, but it's a terrific example of why we should obey God's commandments even if we don't understand them.

Human knowledge is limited, and our "wisdom" isn't always worth following. According to the wisdom of the world, there are many benefits to drinking Green Tea, but according to God's wisdom, there's at least one good reason not to drink it. I'm going to take God's word on this one, since He seems to have a better understanding of the world than we do.

I'm sure I've covered this topic before, but I think it's worth reminding myself that God's wisdom is much greater than mine. So even if I don't know why we were given a particular commandment, I can trust God and obey it because I know that He knows better than I do.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Good policy!

As far as first aid, CPR and being up-to-date, although it's best to try to be current, I personally know people who have saved lives who said afterwards that they were afraid they didn't do it right. Well, they did it right enough! Study, learn, and in an emergency ACT and pray. I guess that applies pretty well to our spiritual lives, too.