Sunday, July 12, 2015

Another Procrastination Post - (Not) Learning From Mistakes

This is going to be another blog post about me being bad at blogging. This morning, I couldn't think of a thing to blog about, and I said as much to my family with whom I live, but I wasn't really worried about it. I figured I'd hear something blogworthy at church, or at least that I'd have more time to think and blog later, so I put all thoughts of blogging onto the back burner, and there it sat until about 9:45 this evening. I had almost completely forgotten about it.

I say "almost completely" because I had, in fact, thought about blogging while I was at church. I heard a bloggworthy thought in one of the hymns we sang, and I made a note in my phone that I should blog about it when I got home, and then I mostly forgot about it.

I say that I "mostly forgot" because, when I got home, I remembered that I had made that note - that I had a blogworthy thought that I needed to blog about. But we had to make dinner, and then I got into a conversation with my brother, then I watched a few Youtube videos, all while thinking that I'd have time to blog "later," but of course, by then, I had forgotten.

In many of my blog posts, I point to myself as an example of why we shouldn't procrastinate, so I apologize that this blog post doesn't tell you anything you haven't heard before. But actually, this allows me to look at any even deeper problem than chronic procrastination and highlight a fundamental aspect of the meaning of life.

We are here to learn from our mistakes.

Over the course of our lives, we will undoubtedly make many mistakes. Those of us who are wise enough to recognize those decisions as mistakes are given an opportunity to show and develop even greater wisdom by learning from the mistakes we've made, and hopefully learn to stop making them.

I am a horrible procrastinator when it comes to blogging, but I'm wise enough to recognize that. I am wise enough to know that procrastination is a mistake and that I need to learn to stop doing that. Am I wise enough to act on that knowledge and stop procrastinating? Evidently not. But every time I make this mistake, and recognize it as such, gives me more reason to learn and change. I am fully confident that, one day, I will possess and apply enough wisdom to stop procrastinating. Hopefully, that day will be tomorrow.

No comments: