Saturday, July 18, 2015

Playing a Paladin

Yesterday, I felt torn between what I wanted to do today. I had been invited by my friends to play D&D with them, and of course I wanted to, but I also knew that my family has a lot of work to do with some renovations we're doing. I knew that the right thing to do would be to stay home and help, but what I wanted to do was to go play D&D with my friends. However, once I acknowledged that staying home was the right thing to do, I really had no choice. And you know what, I'm okay with that. In fact, it's kind of what I wanted to happen when I started playing D&D.

Before I ever started playing D&D, I had been warned that this game changes people, that players of this game start to become their characters, but that didn't deter me - it encouraged me. Since before I wanted to play D&D, I wanted to be a Paladin. I wanted to be a good person with a deep sense of honor and a devotion to do what's right. Apparently, I got what I wanted.

Sure, it would have been fun to play D&D with my friends, but I feel like I made the right choice. I acted in-character according to the character traits that I want to have. I feel like I am becoming a Paladin, and for me, that is an awesome feeling. I didn't get to play a Paladin in D&D today; I was too busy playing that role in real life.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Pursuing a quest with courage, persistance, and good humor. Showing chivalry and honor. Well done, Sir Paladin.