Thursday, October 22, 2015

"An Innocent Man"

In Alma chapter 20, King Lamoni, having been converted by Aaron, was attacked by his father, who was king over all the Lamanites. Aaron defended King Lamoni, saying:
...it is expedient that thou shouldst forbear; for if thou shouldst slay thy son, he being an innocent man, his blood would cry from the ground to the Lord his God, for vengeance to come upon thee; and perhaps thou wouldst lose thy soul. - Alma 20: 18
 It was the word "innocent" that stood out to me this evening as I thought about this event. King Lamoni had been far from innocent; in fact, he had been a murderer. However, he repented, and not long thereafter, Aaron told his father that he was "an innocent man."

Such is the power of the Atonement. When one repents, the sins of which they repent are taken off of their record, and they become as innocent as if they hadn't sinned. It's a great miracle of mercy, almost too wonderful to believe, and it's at the heart of the Christian faith.

I am very grateful for the Atonement and the opportunity to repent. I'm grateful that, through the Atonement, I can get a clean slate, so to speak. There are a number of sins of which I have been (and, in some cases, still am) guilty. I look forward to the day when I can stand before the Judgement Seat and be declared "an innocent man."

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

How great the goodness of our God and the wonderful Atonement of Jesus Christ!