Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"My Burden is Light"

At this morning's BYU Devotional, Sterling Hilton shared some of his favorite scriptures, Matthew 11: 28-30
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Though he gladly shared what he loved about those verses, he admitted that the last verse was "wonderfully problematic" to him. Living the gospel is not easy. The gospel is easy to understand, and living the gospel (and receiving the blessings thereof) may be easier than trying to get through life without the gospel and it's blessings, but make no mistake; the burden we are being asked to carry is not light.

Or is it? Brother Hilton posed the question: What if we think of "light," not as an adjective, but as a noun? In context of the gospel, light is often related to the spirit, to our testimonies, and to truth. Keeping the spirit with us and bearing witness of the truths of the gospel isn't always easy, but it is part of what we need to do to gain salvation - our "burden," so to speak.

God knows that our task isn't easy; our burden is to carry His light.

1 comment: