Monday, October 12, 2015

The Definition of a Christ-Centered Life

When I reread Elder Richard J. Maynes' talk, The Joy of Living a Christ-Centered Life, it made me wonder whether Jesus Christ and His gospel truly are the center of my life, and if they're not, what is?

Before I can answer those questions, I have to define for myself what being the center of one's life means. In the context of a spinning wheel, the center is the focus point -- a point that remains stationary while all other parts of the wheel turn -- a constant. The center is also the axis of rotation, implying that it may be the reason the wheel is turning in the first place.

Using those examples to apply the concepts to our lives, it would seem that the centers of our lives are the parts of us that don't change, even when other parts do, and they may be the reason that other parts change. If this constant part of our lives is the gospel of Jesus Christ, we're probably in pretty good shape, because it means that the gospel will remain in our lives, and everything else in our lives will change until it's in harmony with the gospel.

Is this true for each of us? Is the gospel of Jesus Christ the surest constant in our lives, with everything else in our lives changing to conform to it? I'm not sure. There are some things in my life that have very little to do with the gospel. I have a number of hobbies and interests that aren't centered on Jesus Christ. This means that not every aspect of my life revolves around Jesus. Should I change that? It seems a little extreme to have everything in my life revolve around Jesus Christ and His gospel, but if that's what's required of me, I should be willing to try to live up to that standard.

Thankfully, as I re-reread the first part of Elder Maynes' talk, I noticed that he gave us a definition of a Christ-centered life, and his definition is easier to live up to than mine. He said:
The world in which we live is similar to the potter’s spinning wheel, and the speed of that wheel is increasing. Like the clay on the potter’s wheel, we must be centered as well. Our core, the center of our lives, must be Jesus Christ and His gospel. Living a Christ-centered life means we learn about Jesus Christ and His gospel and then we follow His example and keep His commandments with exactness.
Keeping the commandments of Jesus Christ with exactness is going to be difficult. I'm not sure whether we'll be able to master than within our lifetimes. But learning about Him and following His example are a lot easier than making sure every element of our lives revolves around Him. I don't think God expects us to give up all our hobbies and interests that aren't centered on the gospel - just the ones that aren't in harmony with it. We don't have to give up everything we like - just everything that's holding us back. God's greatest desire is for us to live righteously so we can have joy, but as long as our interests don't keep us away from that joy, there's no reason we can't have fun as well.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Sometimes I wonder if an interest or activity is part of a Christ centered life, too. Then I sometimes flip it. Is providing that activity Christ-like or in opposition? If it is good for them to do this job, isn't it good for us to help provide the job?

I just spent a couple of days indulging in a little cruise. Is it Christ-centered to go on a cruise? It was kind of selfish and fun. There was nothing about the cruise in opposition to living the gospel except I got back too late for Sacrament Meeting. I appreciated the beauty of creation and enjoyed time with some family members. But it wasn't all about religion. What about all our servers that worked on the ship? They do honorable work they can be proud of and that brings happiness to others, but they do work on Sunday.

I have noticed that even General Authorities quote from movies and novels now and then. So seeing a wholesome movie or reading a novel must not be detrimental to a Christ-centered life.