Thursday, October 29, 2015

Grammar Nerd Analyzes Prayer Advice

I just saw this on Facebook:


Because I'm a grammar nerd, the second part of this picture quote stood out to me. If I were writing it, I probably would have said "Not every prayer has to be long and eloquent," leaving open the possibility that some prayers may have to be long and elegant. But they don't. No prayer has to be long and eloquent. Why would it? God cares more about sincerity and intent than length and eloquence. Some prayers may have to be long, depending on how you're feeling, but no prayer has to be eloquent. Prayers can be short and simple. They should always be honest and heartfelt, but they never have to be impressive. When you pray, try to say what you're truly feeling, whether it comes out eloquently or not.