Tuesday, March 29, 2022

"If"

Many prophecies, promises, and covenants begin with, or at least include, the word "if." "If you do this, I will do that." "If so-and-so does this, this is what's going to happen." I like these kinds of promises and prophecies because they leave the decisions up to us. If some doom is foretold to come upon us if we take a certain course of action, we can simply choose to do something else, eluding the doom. If God offers us a promise that He will grant us a certain blessing if we keep a certain commandment, we are still free to choose whether we keep that commandment or not (and, at the same time, choose whether we qualify for that blessing or not).

The main problem I have with commandments is that they are commandments. God commands, and we obey. God is our king, and we are His subjects. I'm not okay with that. Maybe I will be when I grow wiser, I will be okay with that, but right now, I like the idea of freedom too much to be okay with anyone, even God, telling me what to do.

However, I'm perfectly fine with God telling me what He will do if I take a certain course of action. If He wants to tell me "If you do this, I will do that," that's fine. In fact, I appreciate the advance notice, and it might factor into my decision. Whether it's a promised blessing or a warning of punishment, it's good to know what'll happen if I make a certain choice. And, personally, I'm more likely to make the right choices if I don't feel like I'm being pressured into doing so. With "if" promises and warnings, there's no pressure. If I keep the commandment, I'll get the blessing, and if I don't, I won't. Even with punishments, the "if" part of the warning leaves the choice in my hands. Sure, the choice may be between servitude or punishment, but at least the choice is mine. I'm glad God lets me "pick my poison," so to speak.

Perhaps I'm too keen on using the agency and intellect God gave me, but it seems like a waste not to use them to consider my options and make my own choices, and I appreciate God telling me how things will work out if I do.

No comments: