Wednesday, March 9, 2022

(Don't) Always Be Yourself

I'm currently wearing a shirt that says, "Always be yourself, unless you can be a dragon, then always be a dragon." As fun as that sentiment is, I actually disagree with it. Being yourself is generally good, if vague, advice, but it may not be good advice to apply at all times. Your self, as you are now, is not perfect. Your self requires change. We shouldn't always be our current selves; in fact, we should continually build toward our best possible future selves. Then, maybe, we can "always be" those.

Granted, I'm pretty sure I know what they meant, and I think I agree that people should generally be comfortable with their own actions, preferences, and personalities. Besides, no everyone needs an entire psychological overhaul. There are aspects of our current selves that should be preserved and cultivated. Yet, there are also other aspects of our current selves that should be altered or removed. We should be careful which aspects we cultivate and which ones we alter, but I think it's safe to say that we all have aspects of ourselves to work on, so no, we should not always be content to be our current selves.

No comments: