Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Paycheck Delayed

I just got my paycheck for February, over a week later than I would normally have expected it. Apparently, there was an error during the processing, resulting in my paycheck and those of my coworkers being late. This, fortunately, wasn't a big issue for me. I don't have many expenses, and those I do have were easily covered by my savings. Others, I'm sure, weren't as fortunate. Some people live paycheck to paycheck, making barely enough to pay their bills each month. For people like that, it makes a much bigger difference exactly when their money comes in and exactly when their debts fall due. For a lot of people, it's practically vital for them to get their money when they need it, and they can't afford unpredictability or delays.

This experience has gotten me thinking about blessings from God and how they tend to come of God's timetable rather than ours. Sometimes, blessings come almost immediately once we've proven worthy of them. Sometimes even before. And other times, they're delayed, perhaps even until after death. I suppose, then, our task is to be economical about our blessings. Knowing that our blessings may come sooner or later than we expect, we should try to make sure we can get by and stay faithful without them for as long as we need to. When we are richly blessed, we should try not to get too comfortable relying on receiving so many blessings, and when we are less richly blessed, we should try to hold out as long as possible until our blessings come.

Our blessings may not come when we want them to or when we expect them to, but I just hope that we can count on getting the blessings we need by the time we really need them.

No comments: