Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Body and Spirit

In studying Hinduism for my World Religions class, I was reminded that I have a spirit. This isn't news to me, but, being human, I often forget it. I tend to think of myself as a singular being, not as a dual being or a being with two parts. When I say "I am tired," I usually don't think much more about it than that, but what I really mean is that my body and/or my brain is tired. My spirit doesn't necessarily have that kind of limitation. My spirit is just as eternal and limitless as the Holy Spirit upon which I rely for help. In my last blog post, I said that, since we're fighting an enemy who has no physical limitations, we need the help of allies who also have no physical limitations. Little did I realize that at least some of that help could come from within.

I don't know whether or not my spirit is at all subject to physical limitations. I don't think it can travel outside my body or recall information from before my birth. I don't know whether or not my spirit needs to sleep. I know that my conscious mind and physical body have such limitations, but I don't know if my spirit does. It could be that my spirit has every ability and advantage that I thought the adversary has over me. If my spirit is just as powerful as that of the adversary, then that means that I am, too.

It's true that the enemy has some advantages and abilities that my physical body doesn't have, but perhaps my immortal, immaterial soul can make up for my body's weaknesses. I am more than just my body. I am a body and a spirit. And together, it may be that I have every ability and advantage as the adversary has, and then some.

No comments: