Saturday, March 7, 2020

Warding Bond

Another piece of D&D magic my new CTR ring reminds me of (I got a new CTR ring, by the way. I forgot to mention that last night) is Warding Bond. Warding Bond is a 2nd Level Abjuration Spell that requires two platinum rings (worth at least 50gp apiece) to be worn both by the caster of the spell and by the creature to be warded. The warded creature gains a +1 bonus to its Armor Class and Saving Throws, and it gains resistance to all forms of damage. This means that the creature is more difficult to hurt and that, even when the creature gets hurt, it only hurts half as much as it should. However, this spell has a serious drawback for the caster. Whenever the warded creature takes damage, the caster of the Warding Bond takes that much damage as well. The caster can protect a creature from a great deal of harm, but only by taking that harm upon themselves.

This analogy is powerful to me because of how it reflects the way in which Christ protects me. He took on the penalty of my sins. He suffered that punishment so I wouldn't have to. He bore every pain I would ever experience so He could spare me from some of that pain. Jesus Christ is helping me at great personal cost to Himself, and every time I sin, I make that cost greater. Every time I take spiritual damage and suffer spiritual death, Christ suffers with me. My new CTR ring is a reminder that I am not the only person who suffers the consequences of my actions. Jesus suffers, too, and I don't want Him to.

With Warding Bond, the warded creature can end the spell by removing the platinum ring they have to wear as part of the spell. I don't have that luxury. My ring is just a reminder of the bond that already existed long before I put it on. I can remove the ring, but that won't stop Jesus from suffering for my sins. The only way I can stop Jesus from suffering for my sins is by not committing them. I can't stop Jesus from carrying my burden, so the best I can hope for is to stop making it heavier.

I am amazed and humbled by the love Jesus must have for me to be willing to suffer the penalty of my sins. The pain I put Him through is unimaginable. Jesus suffered so much for my sake and for the sake of all of humankind, I don't think any mortal being could have survived all that suffering. Yet, He suffered it, for all our sakes. He endured that suffering so we wouldn't have to, and in doing so, He saved us all. He created a bond between our souls and His that allows Him to suffer for our sakes and in our stead. I can't imagine the pain He endured to help us, and I can't imagine trying to go through life without that help. I need all the help Jesus can offer me. I just wish that help didn't come at such a great cost to Him.

No comments: