Sunday, January 2, 2022

Service > Church

This morning, before getting ready for church, I helped a family member of mine clean up a mess that their pet had made. Thankfully, that didn't make me late for church, but even if it had, I figure that doing service is probably more important than getting to church on time.

Naturally, going to church is important, but there's little point in learning about Christ if we're not also going to act Christlike by performing Christlike service. Hearing and learning are good, but doing is better. In fact, I'd argue that a person who serves others freely, despite never having heard of Christ is probably more Christlike than someone who attends church religiously but who rarely serves others, more like Pharisees than true Christians.

Jesus wants us to learn of Him and do His works, but of those two, I believe the latter is more important than the former.

No comments: