Friday, January 7, 2022

The Flowers at My Feet

A year ago, I shared an image with the comment "Don't set your heart so much on the mountain in the distance that you cannot enjoy the nearby tree or the flowers at your feet." I think that that advice still stands. All my life, I've been working toward a particular mountain, and I've recently gotten closer to that mountain than I ever have before, but it still feels like it's an eternity away, perpetually out of reach. Meanwhile, my current circumstances are almost embarrassingly good. I'm enjoying good fortune that I know others don't. I'm grateful that I've been blessed with a good life with good people in it. So, while I keep walking toward that mountain, I'm going to appreciate the flowers around me and stop by that nearby tree on the way.

It's important to have long-term goals, but it's also important to appreciate life even while pursuing them. I'll get to that mountain when I get there. In the meantime, I'm going to take the time to enjoy the flowers at my feet.

No comments: