Sunday, May 18, 2014

How to Get a Free Haircut

On Friday morning, I found myself in a barber shop, but I wasn't there to get a haircut. I didn't really need one. I was just waiting for someone else. While I was waiting, I couldn't help noticing that there was a mini freezer sitting on the floor in the middle of the room, thawing, and leaking water all over the floor. Several of the barbers we're cleaning the last few bits of ice and water out of the freezer and mopping the water off of the floor with rags. Because I had nothing better to do (and after a moment's hesitation because of how awkward it might be), I volunteered to help.

At first, the haircutters said I really didn't need to help, but I insisted. I helped them mop up the water, put the freshly thawed freezer back into its place, and finish drying the floor. When the work was done, the barbers offered to show their gratitude for my help by giving me a free haircut. I turned them down at first, but they insisted, and in the end, I got a nice trim. I offered them a small amount of money, but they refused it, so I offered them a smaller amount of money and insisted that they take it. Then we parted ways, each thinking that the other had done more for us than we had done for them.

Offering service and being kind is good for everyone. It was good for me because I felt good inside (the free trim was just an extra bonus). It was good for the barbers because they had help with a semi-challenging task, and then made and took an opportunity to show their thanks. I showed a small amount of thanks for their showing of thanks, and we each left thinking that we hadn't thanked the other enough. This is why I love service - not because I got a free haircut, but because it makes people happy. I was happy to serve and they were glad for the help. I was glad to get a good trim, and they were happy to give it to me. We each did service for the other, and everybody's happiness improved as a result. It was probably the best experience I had that day, and definitely at least the second best.

The title of this blog post is a little misleading because you shouldn't give service expecting some gift or favor in return. That's not how it works. Service only provides the happiness I love it for if it is given out of the goodness of one's heart. My service was genuine because I wasn't expecting anything in return for helping with the freezer, and their service was genuine because they weren't expecting any payment for the haircut (and, honestly, the amount of money I made them take wasn't even enough to be a half-decent tip for a haircut. I should have given them more). Since we each did what we did just to be nice, those acts of service had the miraculous results of lifting our hearts and getting our days off to a good start.

No comments: