Friday, May 16, 2014

I Love That Clean Feeling

Yesterday, I did a lot of biking. I got home just before bedtime tired and sweaty, feeling sticky and gross. Then I took a shower. It felt so good to be clean again, and I was able to sleep comfortably through the night.

Repentance feels good too. To have our consciences wiped clean and to feel pure and worthy to stand before the Lord is probably the greatest feeling in the world. In life, we get dirty sometimes. We make bad choices and mistakes. We get sweaty and gross (especially when it's 100 degrees outside and your main form of transportation is biking). Through frequent repentance, we can wash away the sins of the day and go to bed feeling clean.

God knows that we're all human. He knows that we'll all keep making mistakes. And though He asks us to try to avoid sin as much as we can, He knows that we'll fall short of perfection on a daily basis. He asks that we keep trying, and promises that as long as we're trying to improve, He'll remain patient with us and He'll forgive our sins as often as we ask Him too.

I'm very grateful for God's love and patience. I'm grateful for the blessings we have of being about the repent and bathe frequently. I'm grateful for that feeling I get when I become fresh and clean again, physically or spiritually.

From tonight to tomorrow morning, I'll be camping. (Tomorrow's blog post will be late, by the way.) I'll probably get dirty. I'll definitely get sweaty. And I fully intend on taking another shower when I get home. I'm pretty sure Mom expects me to take showers as frequently as I need to, just as God expects me to repent as often as I need to. And I know that I feel a whole lot better when I do.

No comments: