Sunday, December 24, 2017

Merry Christmas!

By the time you read this message, it will be Christmas (or some time thereafter), so I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas. In doing so, I'm reminded of a quote from a good book, so I think I'll elaborate on that.

Primarily, I wish that you have a merry Christmas. I want your holiday to be a good one. I hope you have a fun and pleasant experience that leaves you with happy memories.

I do not, however, wish to wish you a merry Christmas against your will. If you don't want to have a "Merry Christmas," perhaps because you don't observe Christmas and/or don't like it and would rather be left alone, I think I can be okay with it. I want you to have a good day, whether that means having a "Merry Christmas" or not.

I, for one, intend to have a merry Christmas. I am satisfied with the quality of the gifts I'll be giving, and I trust that the recipients will enjoy receiving them as much as I enjoy giving them. And, of course, I will enjoy receiving the gifts that have been gotten for me as well. But even without the presents and the happiness they bring, I expect that I'll be merry on Christmas because I'll be spending time with my family, as sappy as that sounds. I enjoy their company, and I'd enjoy spending the day with them even if we weren't going to spend it exchanging and enjoying gifts.

Christmas is a time to be merry. It's a time to exchange warm wishes, warm hugs, and perhaps a few gifts as well. It's a time to spend with family and close friends: those who make us happy. I hope that you have good reasons to be happy this Christmas, or that you choose to be happy whether you have reasons to be happy or not.

That is most of what I mean when I wish you a "Merry Christmas."

No comments: