Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A Finite and Infinite Number of Days

In his General Conference talk, One More Day, Elder Taylor G. Godoy asked, 
I wonder what it would mean, what effect it would have in my life to know that I had only one more day to live. How would I treat my wife, my children, and others? How patient and polite would I be? How would I take care of my body? How fervently would I pray and search the scriptures? I think that, in one way or another, we all at some point will have a “one more day” realization—a realization that we must use wisely the time we have.
Our time on Earth is limited, and before we know it, we will find ourselves with only "one more day" left, if that. When that time comes, we will either wish we had lived well or be grateful that we had. I agree with Elder Godoy that the realization that time is short can prompt us to live better. Then, I wonder what becomes of eternity.

After our last day on Earth, our spirits will go to the Spirit World to await resurrection. After we are resurrected, we will live forever in whichever level of heaven we deserve. At that point, we will be immortal. We will have an infinite number of days to live. On Earth, our days are numbered. In heaven, no matter what day it is, it will never be our last. So, if having a finite amount of time to live on Earth might affect how we live on Earth, how might having an infinite amount of time to do whatever we want affect how we live in Heaven? Hopefully, not much. Hopefully, by then, we will have developed an amount of integrity that will help us do the right things, no matter how late we can get away with delaying it.

But that's not really important. How we spend immortality is a question for our immortal selves. in the meantime, it's important that we spend our time on Earth well. We're not immortal yet. We only have a certain number of days to do everything we want to do in mortality. And that deadline (pun intended) is the most important one we will face in our entire lives, so it makes sense to spend much of our limited time preparing for it. It makes sense to prepare for death and judgment by living the way we will wish we had lived. Our mortal days are numbered; we would be wise to spend them well.

No comments: