Monday, July 30, 2018

Rest, Prayer, and Meditation

Countless times over the course of my life, and again earlier today, I've heard advice regarding the importance of rest, meditation, and prayer. I believe that these things are connected in that they all provide some relief from the stresses and worries of life.

These days, people are busy. We so much time keeping busy, doing the things we're supposed to do, that when we get time to rest, we hardly know what to do with it. We fill our spare time with recreational pursuits, thinking that if something is effortless and enjoyable, it must be restful. Maybe I should only speak for myself. I seem to be deluded into thinking that sitting back watching Youtube videos is restful, and maybe it is, physically, but when the rest I need is mental and/or emotional rest, Youtube isn't the best place to get it; meditation is.

I could stand to close my eyes more often instead of constantly looking at a screen. I could stand to listen to my thoughts, the Spirit, and nothing instead of listening to headphones. I could stand to take some time to meditate instead of spending so much time online. I'd like to say that I'm a product of my generation, but I'm also capable of making my own decisions. I can and should meditate, rest, and pray more than I currently habitually do, and perhaps, with technology being so prevalent and taking up so much of so many people's time, I'm not the only one.

No comments: