Saturday, July 7, 2018

Discernment

One of the most important blessings the Holy Ghost can give us these days is the gift of discernment. Discerning right from wrong is vital to our mortal journey, and while most people can tell what's right and what's wrong in most cases, there are some cases, like the Trolley Problem, where the morality might be a lot more difficult to figure out.

Similarly, it can be difficult to discern the true from the false. I just watched a video is which a lady at a book store ranted about them not having a particular book, but as it turns out, while the woman literally did rant in the book store, she was only acting, playing the role of a fictional character who was obsessed with a fictional book series written by a fictional author. The woman was not actually crazy, even though video evidence depicted her as being a bit mad. This, plus several falsified and misleading images I've seen online, have contributed to my belief that I can't really trust anything. However, I know that I can trust the Holy Ghost to help me discern the true from the false, assuming that I can trust my interpretations of the Holy Ghost's promptings.

The Holy Ghost can also help us discern the important from the unimportant. For example, it doesn't really matter to me whether that woman was crazy or not. I don't know her personally, I have never encountered her, and as long as I never encounter her, my perception of her is entirely irrelevant. Perhaps my knowledge that she was only acting might have affected my decision not to share the video that depicted her as acting crazy, but I don't think I was going to share that video anyway. Even if she was crazy, that's not really important to me.

What is important is to know what's right and wrong and to know the truth about things that actually are important, and the Holy Ghost can help us discern what is important, what is true, and what is right.

Having discernment from the Holy Ghost may be more important now than ever before, because we now have access to more information than ever before. Some of the information is true, and some of it is false. Some of it is important, but much of it is unimportant. And now virtually everyone can get involved in moral discussions, if they choose to. So, when we join the discussions on the internet, we should try to make sure that our contributions and interpretations are lead by the guidance and discernment of the Holy Ghost.

No comments: