Sunday, July 15, 2018

"I'm Here If You Need Me."

This afternoon, I saw what I consider to be a near-ideal example of supportive parenting. A girl was tasked with doing something of some degree of difficulty: giving a talk in front of her peers. The girl's father followed her up to the podium and sat on the stand behind her with the comforting words "I'm here if you need me." And, indeed, he did have to pitch in once or twice, but I think that his help went far beyond the few times he actually lent a hand. I imagine that his mere presence and the assurance that any needed help would be provided could have given the girl the comfort and the confidence she needed to give that talk.

What's especially comforting to me about this experience I witnessed is the thought of how closely it might resemble God's relationship to us. We're standing at the podium; we're the one giving the talk, but we know that our Heavenly Father is waiting nearby, ready to help us, if we need Him to. I find a great deal of comfort in that.

I find comfort in knowing that God trusts us enough to let us face our challenges ourselves. He's not hovering over our shoulders, whispering in our ears (at least, not most of the time. There are some of us who occasionally could use that much help). Most of the time, He hangs back, letting us gain the experience of trying and succeeding on our own.

But I also find comfort in knowing that, if it seems that we're not likely to succeed, we have a helper who has our backs. If we ever get stuck on a part of life that we find especially difficult, if we ever really need God's help (and when do we not?), He'll be there to help us as soon as we ask.

This, I think, is just about the perfect amount of support. It's enough to help us succeed when we otherwise wouldn't, and it's enough to serve as a sort of safety net, giving us the confidence to even try, but it's not so much support that it takes away the validity of success. If we can succeed on our own, God lets us. If we need His help, He gives us only as much help as we both need and ask for. And as long as we're willing to accept His help, He is standing by, willing to grant it.

I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who is kind enough and wise enough to give us the support we need when we ask for it. It's comforting to know that, while God lets us make our own choices, including our own mistakes, and lets us succeed or fail on our own, if we want to, He also stays as close as we let Him stay and He is willing to offer us help if we both want and need it. The amount of love and trust and support God has for us is immeasurable. I find it a great comfort to know that, when I struggle (and I frequently struggle), God is always there if and when I need Him.

No comments: