Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sharing in Person

I have a habit of wearing headphones while I watch Youtube videos. I usually consider this a (common) courtesy to anyone else in the house who doesn't care about Magic news, Dev's latest deck tech, or everything wrong with everything wrong with whatever movie is popular at the moment. I like to enjoy my videos without annoying everyone else. But there are times, including just now, when I take the headphones out. There are times when I consider one particular video or one moment in one video worth sharing. And really, isn't that what most social media posts were designed for, sharing? Many posts actively encourage people to share them far and wide, and I occasionally do, but I find it more enriching to share things with people in person. When I watch a video that I'm sure my brother will enjoy, I often pull my headphones out and share the video with him in person. That way, we can react together and even kind of bond over it. It's a more human connection than I usually get online, and I enjoy it more. I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying social media any more than I think there's anything wrong with watching TV or movies, but all of those activities are even better when you do it with people who are close to you.

No comments: