Monday, November 18, 2019

Feeling Bad About Repenting

There are times when I feel bad about repenting. I don't mean that I feel bad for needing to repent; of course I feel bad about that. I mean that I feel bad about performing the act of repenting. It somehow feels like I'm adding to the Savior's burden when I repent (even though I actually did that the instant I sinned) or that I'm mocking His sacrifice by frequently making use of it.

However, I recently realized that Jesus is probably happy about us making good use of His Atonement. After all, healing people, physically and spiritually, is basically His whole shtick. He was literally born for this. Though the Lord is almost certainly irritated when we try to abuse His Atonement, He probably also gets upset when we let it go to waste.

So, while I'm still going to try not to need His forgiveness any more often than I have to, I'm going to pray for His forgiveness as often as I need it, because I'm pretty sure that's what He would want me to do. I recall having heard somewhere that The Savior Wants to Forgive, so perhaps I shouldn't feel bad when I have to ask Him to do that.

No comments: