Sunday, November 10, 2019

The Most Incredible Miracle

Our Ward had its Primary Presentation this weekend, and they finished the presentation by performing a new (to me) song titled The Miracle, which is about the miraculous effects of the Atonement:
Jesus is a God of miracles,
Nothing is at all impossible to Him,
But I know this:
Of all his miracles, the most incredible must be
the miracle that rescues me!
This is true on at least two levels. First, it's true that the Atonement was almost certainly the greatest of Christ's miracles. Creating the Earth is a contender, but paying an infinite price to make salvation possible for all mankind is still an incredible feat of divine power.

Second, I find it incredible that Jesus can rescue me, personally. I am far from being the worst person in the world, but I am also far from perfect. If Jesus Christ can make a perfect, sinless person out of me, then I would find that very impressive, perhaps even impressive enough to strain credulity. It's hard to believe that I could become perfect, even with divine aid, but Jesus has amazing things before. If it's true that "Nothing is at all impossible to Him," then perhaps He can, in fact, rescue me, though I still find that incredible, and I wonder, even with His divine power, how He's going to pull it off.

Whichever way you look at it, the Atonement is incredibly impressive. Through it, Jesus can accomplish feats that would otherwise be impossible, from redeeming all mankind to redeeming each individual member of mankind. The Atonement may or may not the greatest miracle Christ ever performed, since the Creation gives it a run for its money, but it very well could be the most incredible.

No comments: