Thursday, July 23, 2020

Darkness Unto Light

Alma 37:23 And the Lord said: I will prepare unto my servant Gazelem, a stone, which shall shine forth in darkness unto light, that I may discover unto my people who serve me, that I may discover unto them the works of their brethren, yea, their secret works, their works of darkness, and their wickedness and abominations.

There are some people who try to keep secrets. Actually, it may be more accurate to say that there are few people who don't. Most people have something to hide, and for some people, that includes some aspects of their behavior. Yet, trying to hide one's behavior is fairly foolish, because even if one manages to keep their secret works of darkness hidden from the rest of the world, no one can keep secrets from God. God sees all our works and even our thoughts and hearts, and He can reveal those "secret works" to whomever He wants.

Luke wrote "Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops" (Luke 12:3). Whatever secrets we have, they won't stay secret forever. Eventually, every work of darkness will be brought unto light. As far as I'm concerned, that's all the more reason to try and keep our noses clean and to avoid saying or doing anything of which we would be ashamed. We may be able to keep some of our works secret from some people for some amount of time, but all secrets will be revealed eventually, so in the meantime, I'd rather try not to have many.

No comments: