Sunday, July 19, 2020

"I Could Remember my Pains No More"

Alma 36:19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.

In Alma's case, when he said this, he was referring to no longer feeling guilt for his sins once he had repented of them, and that's a thought that's worthy of a blog post, too, but when I read this verse, I think of a very different experience that I had had as a boy.

I was at a family reunion, running around, playing tag with some cousins or something in or around a copse of trees. Unbeknownst to me at the time, there was a ground hornets' nest nestled between some of the trees around which we were playing. Or rather, I should say that I didn't know they were there - until I stepped on them.

Before I knew it, I had hornets swarming all over me. I ran in an absolute panic, trying to outrun them, but many of them had already landed on me. To this day, I have a more-than-is-rational aversion to hornets and bees.

Yet, despite the trauma of this harrowing experience, I consider it a small miracle because, once I had calmed down enough for my parents to get me inside, my father gave me a Priesthood Blessing, and I got it. I remember being covered in hornets, and I remember being scared, but I don't remember the pain of being stung or bitten. In fact, I don't remember having experienced any physical pain from that experience at all. I'm sure I must have gotten bitten - I may even have some scars from that event, but I don't remember the pain. After I got that blessing, "I could remember my pains no more," exactly as though I had never felt any pain in the first place.

I know that was a miracle. I know that God miraculously spared me from the memory of the pain that I'm sure I must have experienced. I think it's unfortunate that not everyone gets that blessing, but still, I'm glad I received that miracle and that I now have that story to tell. The blessings of the Priesthood can include far more than simple healings and performing ordinances. They can accomplish miracles of all kinds, including, apparently, the miracle of me no longer remembering any pain.

No comments: