Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Possession

In Alma 30:42, Alma talks about how Korihor was "possessed with a lying spirit," how the Spirit of God had no place in him, and how the the devil had power over him. This weirds me out a little bit. See, I don't know to what extent "possessions" are a real thing, or rather, I don't want to know. I'd love to chalk most modern talk of possessions up as ghost stories and perhaps some occult nonsense, yet there are many scriptures that reference evil/unclean spirits, many of which refer to the spirits as possessing others and/or being cast out. Such possessions have happened and, therefore, are possible.

I find the idea of such possessions disturbing, partly out of fear that such a possession could, theoretically, happen to me, and I'd rather that not be possible, and also partly out of concern for how such possessions affect the agency of those who are possessed. Possession is creepy, and it raises a lot of difficult questions, and I'd rather that it simply not be a real thing. I'd rather believe that it's impossible for an evil spirit to gain control of another person's mortal body. And maybe that's partly true. Maybe evil spirits can only take control if we let them, like how alcohol can only impair our judgement if we drink it, thus making such possessions preventable and partly clearing up the question of agency.

Regardless of how such possessions actually happen and what they mean for those who become possessed, I take some comfort in knowing that such possessions are relatively rare and completely treatable. No matter whether the unclean spirits snuck in, broke in, or were welcomed in, they can all be cast out, and the Holy Spirit can be welcomed in in their stead. Perhaps I don't actually have to worry about these possessions after all. They're not likely to happen to anyone who isn't dabbling in things that they shouldn't dabble in, and even when they happen, they can be undone. As creepy as such possessions are, they are treatable and probably preventable. As long as we treat them seriously and avoid them like the plague, I think we'll be fine.

No comments: