Saturday, March 30, 2013

Oh Say, What is Truth?

This morning I looked for a talk on the subject of truth because I have a belief concerning truth and I want to have that belief confirmed as either true or false. The belief is this: If a statement is true, it is true no matter who said it.

The reason this belief came up is that I recently wrote something that I think is true, hope is true, and believe would be very inspiring to me and to others if only it were true. To me, the thing I wrote seems true, but I'm having trouble believing it because I'm the one who said it. Here's what I said:
We all have superpowers. We don't all have telekinesis, super-strength, or the ability to fly, but we each have our own gifts. Some save lives. Some enrich lives. You regularly do both. [I was writing this to my Mom, who donates blood and does many other good things.] Regardless of what our various abilities are, we can all do something to help. It's the decision to act for the betterment of humanity, even just a small part of humanity, that makes us heroes.

I want to know if it's true. I want it to be true, but I don't trust the source of this quote. This could very easily be something someone made-up, and people want to believe it just because it sounds good. I believe that if it is true, then it's true, even though I'm the one who said it. But how can I know if it's true?

As soon as I thought that question, I knew I already knew the answer. I can ask God. All truth comes from Him, ultimately. He shares it with us through prophets and apostles, but also through doctors and scientists, wise men, and occasionally, maybe, even through normal people. Maybe this is true, and for whatever reason, God chose to share this truth through me. I'm not sure how easily I'll believe that, but I can pray to find out for sure.

The trouble with that is that I doubt that I can trust myself to correctly interpret God's answer to my prayer. I can ask Him, and He can tell me "True" or "False," but if I misinterpret the answer, I might as well have not even asked! If I ask Him and He tells me and I get the answer wrong, not only will I not know whether the statement is true or not, I may end up thinking that I "know" something that isn't true!

Instead of taking that risk, perhaps I could dissect the statement piece by piece with reason and logic, and determine whether the statement is probably true or probably false (taking into account that my logic may be wrong).

Part 1: We all have superpowers.
This is obviously not true because we do not all have superpowers. Not even all superheroes have superpowers. The statement is so false, it's ridiculous. However, perhaps when viewed in context with the rest of the message, we see that the meaning of the statement is not literal, but figurative, and the figurative meaning may be true, even though the literal meaning is not.

Part 2: We don't all have telekinesis, super-strength, or the ability to fly,
This is certainly true. I know I don't have any of those powers, and if I am included in the "we," then we don't all have those powers.

Part 3: but we each have our own gifts.
This part's trickier. If you've read the Gospel Principles manual on the subject of talents, you will have read that we were each born with and/or can develop special talents. If these talents can be termed "gifts," then it can be said that we each have our own gifts, and this part of the statement is true.

Part 4: Some save lives.
This is true. Watch the news.

Part 5: Some enrich lives.
This is true. Watch General Conference.

Part 6: You regularly do both.
I was speaking to my Mom when I wrote that. As Bloodsource will readily tell any blood donor, "Yes, you do save lives." And she enriches my life almost constantly, so this part of the statement is definitely true.

Part 7: Regardless of what our various abilities are, we can all do something to help.
With this one, I'm not sure. Those who have the ability to communicate can help others but sharing feelings of love, peace, and support. Even if all one can do is smile, that can help. But suppose a person is totally paralyzed and are physically unable to do anything. They can still listen to other's problems and mentally pray for them. And if they're deaf, they can still pray. I'm pretty sure God made everyone with some way that they can be a blessing to others, so this part of the statement is probably true.

Part 8: It's the decision to act for the betterment of humanity, even just a small part of humanity, that makes us heroes.
This is the important part, and I have no idea. We'd have to define what a hero is and what it means to "deci[de] to act for the betterment of humanity." It sounds good, but sounding good isn't nearly enough to make something true. I want to know what you think - whether you think this is true or not.

So we have:
Part 1: Unclear - Literally False, Figuratively Possibly True
Part 2: True
Part 3: True
Part 4: True
Part 5: True
Part 6: True
Part 7: Probably True
Part 8: Unclear

So the statement is mostly true, and possibly entirely true, but there's still a good chance that part of it - the important part - is false.

So I'm right back where I started. Maybe I should pray about this. It couldn't make me much more clueless than I am right now.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

You should pray about this. I should pray about this. Each of us should pray to know truth from falsehood wherever we hear or find it. It is our right and duty to know for ourselves from the source of all truth.

When I read your statement, it resonated. Including the superpowers. Not flying, or telekinesis, but the super powers of life and the ability to become like God - in time.

And actually so much here and now. Each of us daily affects our environment and the people with whom we come in contact - to uplift, or to tear down, to help or to hinder, to inspire, or to discourage. We have felt it from others, but we do not always recognize it in ourselves. We have great privilege and responsibility to be a power for good, even as you said, in the simple ways of a smile or of listening.

Another way the totally paralyzed person you spoke of or person with any handicap or difference - physical, emotional, mental, spiritual - serves is by giving us an opportunity to learn, to see from another perspective, and especially to be tested in how we treat others. Each is a precious child of God. He is watching how we treat them. I am sure He will discuss it with us later.