Saturday, January 9, 2016

A Pep Talk in Every Drop(TM)

One of the things that got me through the day yesterday was Halls cough drops. They suppressed my coughs, soothed my throat, and helped me breathe more easily. They also had another surprising benefit. In addition to the cough drops' medicinal benefits, the wrappers had encouraging phrases printed on them, such as "Be resilient," "Go for it," "Flex your 'can do' muscle," and "Get back in there, champ!" These phrases were amusing and at times uplifting. I believe that these phrases, working alongside the cough drops themselves, of course, had a psychological effect that helped me feel better and get better.

The great thing about this is that it didn't cost them much more money to go the extra mile to encourage me to feel better. They had to print their logo on their wrappers anyway. With just a little bit of extra ink per wrapper and a one-time investment of time to think of a number of encouraging phrases, they were able to include empowering words which I interpreted as a kind and thoughtful gesture.

We can each make similar gestures. It doesn't take much extra time or energy to say a kind word to someone, to encourage them, comfort them, or let them know you care. Like Halls, we regularly have opportunities to improve lives, and thanks to Halls' example, I think I'm going to take more of the opportunities that come my way today. For both giving me encouragement and for giving me an idea for how I can bless others, I'm thankful to Halls for putting "A Pep Talk in Every Drop."

No comments: