Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Sharing Light

In Elder Stern P. Stanfill's talk, Choose the Light, he shared an experience he had biking with a small group of friends and family members. They knew their ride would take them through a dark tunnel, so they had prepared themselves with lights. However, many of their lights proved inadequate, so they stayed close to each other, relying on the combined power of their lights and on the particularly strong light of one of their members to get them safely through the tunnel.

This, I believe, is one of the main functions of the church. We gather together each Sunday in part to share our light and to gain light from each other. When we stand together, sharing our insights and ideas, we all see more clearly.

My blog is somewhat similar. Yesterday, I had many questions, but since I posted my concerns yesterday, two of the most spiritual people I know shared their beliefs on the matter, and my life has been enriched by their wisdom. Every day, I post something vaguely spiritual on my blog. Every once in a while, someone comments that a blog post of mine was interesting or insightful. By coming here to share our thoughts with each other, we all gain greater light together.

By banding together, we can help each other grow in the gospel, increase in wisdom, and become more like Jesus Christ. I think I blogged recently that parents can help their children by sharing lessons learned from their life experiences. We can all help each other the same way. No matter how little light we may individually have, we can use what light we have to increase the collective light of the group. By sharing our light with each other, we all have more.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to reach out and share what light I have with you each day, and I'm more grateful for those of you who reach back and share your light with me. I've learned far more from this blog than I've ever taught, and I've gained more light than I've been able to emit. I look forward to continue sharing the light that gathers here. By sharing our light with each other, we each have become blessings to us all.

No comments: