Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Compensatory Light

In Elder Stanfill's General Conference talk, he shared the following, encouraging, quote from a speech Elder Neil L. Andersen gave at BYU:
As evil increases in the world, there is a compensatory spiritual power for the righteous. As the world slides from its spiritual moorings, the Lord prepares the way for those who seek Him, offering them greater assurance, greater confirmation, and greater confidence in the spiritual direction they are traveling. The gift of the Holy Ghost becomes a brighter light in the emerging twilight.
In a world that seems to get darker by the day, it's comforting to know that God is granting additional light to those who still strive to follow it.

In D&D, the Dungeon Master usually tailors the difficulty of the adventure to match the abilities of the characters. For example, if the group is a party of 3rd Level characters, the DM will prepare a dungeon with encounters suitable for 3rd Level characters. The encounters in that dungeon would be difficult enough to be interesting for the players, and perhaps even to challenge them, but they wouldn't be likely to overpower them.

In real life, God doesn't adjust the difficulty of life's problems to match our abilities; He helps us improve our abilities so we can meet life's challenges. This means that in a world where it's becoming increasingly difficult to be righteous, God will grant us additional power with which to do so.

I'm grateful for the knowledge that God never gives us anything that we can't handle. Frequently, we need God's help to tackle our challenges, and some times, we'll need more help from Him than at other times, but with His help, there is nothing we'll face that we can't handle, and I find that very reassuring. With the challenges I face and the wisdom and will-power I know I'll need, it's comforting that God will grant me all the help I need. I'll definitely need to ask for it, and I may need to do a few things to prove I'm worthy of it, but I know that when I really need God's help, He will help me, no matter how much of His help I need.

No comments: