Saturday, May 16, 2020

Celestial Tutoring

I am a writing tutor. One of the most important lessons I've had to learn as a tutor is to not help my students too much. While I may work with my students to a certain extent, my main job is to help them get to the point where they can do the work themselves.

From my experience, God seems to follow a similar principle. God doesn't seem to help people any more than is good for them. He offers some guidance and assistance, but He mostly seems to follow a more "hands-off" approach, rather letting our attempts and experiences do most of the teaching.

There are times when I wish God would help me more. Sometimes, He even feels distant and uncaring, but I think that's mostly because He knows how important it is for me to gain experience and grow personally, rather than just following His directions. I think He's trying to strengthen me and help me to eventually become more independent, just as a good tutor does.

A good tutor doesn't simple tell their student what to do, and they certainly don't do any of the student's work for them. That would be giving the student far too much help, to the point where they aren't actually helping the student at all. Instead, a good tutor teaches their students correct principles and then gives the students opportunities to apply those principles themselves, just like God does.

There are times when I want more help and feel like God is being a bad friend for not helping me more, but I realize that I might have been asking for too much help, and that, by withholding it, God was really being a good tutor.

No comments: