Monday, May 4, 2020

How to Make Skill Checks Easier

In D&D, the primary mechanic is the Skill Check. Whenever a character tries to do something where there is a chance for success and a chance for failure, they roll a d20, add all relevant modifiers to the number they rolled, and compare their total against the "DC," a target number that represents the difficulty of their task. For example, let's say I was trying to so something of moderate difficulty, with a DC of 15, and I'm pretty good at doing that thing, with, say, a +5 to the check. I would roll a d20, getting a random number between 1 and 20, inclusive, add +5 to whatever number the die rolled, and if the total is 15 or higher, I succeeded at doing that moderately difficult thing.

Normally, the difficulty of a task is set by the DC. The higher the target number, the less likely it is that you'll roll a number high enough to get you to that total. With a DC of 15 and a modifier of +5, I need to roll a 10 or higher to succeed. If the DC was 20, I'd need to roll a 15 or higher. If the DC was 25, I'd need a Natural 20 to succeed. Conversely, if the DC was only 10, I could succeed on a roll of 5 or higher, and if the DC was 5, I wouldn't have to roll at all. Adjusting the DC, the difficulty of the task, has a strong influence on how much luck I'd need to succeed at that task, or how hard that task would be for me.

However, there's another way to adjust the difficulty of a task for a particular character: adjusting that character's modifier. For example, that moderately difficult, DC 15 task requires that I roll a 10 or higher when my modifier is +5. However, if my modifier was +10, I could succeed on a roll of 5 or higher. If I somehow had a modifier of +14 or -6, I wouldn't need to roll because I would be so good or so bad at that sort of task that I'm guaranteed to succeed or fail, respectively. The target number doesn't change, but my skill modifier and my odds of succeeding do.

Personally, I'd like life to be easy. I'd rather not face serious challenges because I'd rather not ever lose. I would love to convince God to set the DC of life about 2d6 lower. But He doesn't seem interested in doing that. He doesn't want to lower the DC; He wants to increase our modifiers. He doesn't want to make life easier; He wants to make us stronger.

God gives us challenges that are actually challenging because He wants us to grow and become more capable as we face those challenges. He wants us to get better and better at facing the challenges of life until those challenges become easy for us - not because the challenges themselves are easy, but because we're so good at overcoming them. Sure, I'd like God to make life easier for me, but I don't need Him to. I can make life easier for myself by growing stronger and getting better at facing it. I can train and exercise my physical and spiritual muscles to the point where tasks that seem nearly impossible now can become relatively easy for me.

I don't need God to make life easier for me; I can make it easier for myself by getting better at life.

No comments: