Saturday, May 9, 2020

Silent Expressions of and Pleas for Love

I've heard that all communication is either expressing love or asking for love, but I've also heard that we're always communicating, even when we're being silent, which led me to wonder, how can silent show love, and how can silence be a plea for love? I've thought of a few ways.

Loving silence could mean listening to others when it's their turn to speak or when they have something difficult and/or important to say. Loving silence can accompany a comfortable coexistence where two or more people are happy just to be around each other, whether they talk to each other or not.

A silent plea for love may involve being reserved and uncharacteristically quiet. It might look like shutting down or giving up. It might be someone saying that they're "just tired." In my limited experience, I think that, when a person is this kind of quiet, what that person most needs is for someone to lovingly listen to them.

Being quiet can be a silent plea for love, and quietly listening to them can be a silent expression of love. People can say "I love you" and "I need love" with their words or their deeds, but they can also say it by not saying anything.

No comments: