Tuesday, November 8, 2022

How to Help an Overwhelmed Introvert

One of the challenges of being introverted is that help can become unhelpful. Sometimes, I get tired, cranky, and overwhelmed. At those times, my family sometimes, generously, offers to help. They try to help me not be overwhelmed by assisting me with one of my tasks, or perhaps they simply offer me comfort and support. Yet, despite their good intentions, their offers to help can backfire. Every offer of assistance and comfort is another (albeit small) social interaction that can drain my energy even further, when it's already dangerously low. Every text they send me, offering comfort, support, or worse, advice, is a text that takes social energy to read and answer. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to snap my phone in half or throw it across the room because of a poorly timed but well-intended text.

I don't expect most people to understand this, but when I'm feeling overwhelmed (and I hope it's obvious that I'm overwhelmed, because I'll likely be too overwhelmed to explain it), sometimes the best thing people can do for me is to give me some space. I'll get my work done (preferably without help), I'll calm down if I have to (preferably without further agitation), and I'll manage my emotions and energy levels as well as I can (preferably without people draining what little is left of my social and/or emotional energy). It's good that people what to help me, and I'm grateful for their desire to help, but sometimes, the best way to help me is, paradoxically, to leave me alone.

No comments: