Sunday, November 27, 2022

The Shortest / Best Talk I've Ever Given

As it turns out, I needn't've worried so much. The first speaker took up most of the time, and the hymns took most of the rest of the time, leaving only a few minutes for me. I shared the highlights, what compassion is and how we can show it, and I ended with my testimony of how important it is to practice compassion. But what made it the best talk I've ever given is how it encouraged me to practice what I preached.

Speaking of which, I owe you all an apology. I've been rude. I was so worked up about how others' actions affected me, I didn't care how my reactions affected them. It's difficult to act with compassion in the (perceived) absence of compassion, but I shouldn't have let that become an excuse to behave rudely. I'm sorry to all of you. I plan to do a better job of practicing compassion and considering others' feelings from now on.

They say that speakers typically get more out of their talks than their audience does, and I think that was certainly true this time. The congregation got a definition, an anecdote, and a few tips. I got a lesson that got me out of a funk and changed how I'll interact with others. It was a rough experience at points, but I'm glad I was asked to give this talk.

No comments: