Monday, November 28, 2022

Try

Someone recently complimented my performance. I told them "Oh, thank you. I try." They said "You don't try, you succeed." And I said "I succeed because I try."

I think that trying is vitally important. We need to make an effort in order to improve. If we don't actually try, then whether we succeed or fail, we will stagnate, and our skill will eventually atrophy. However, if we do try, then whether we succeed of fail, we will grow, and that growth will lead us to more and more consistent success.

I don't think our performance should be measured by how well we do. The results of our performances could be based largely on luck, natural ability, or innate talent, none of which are actually earned. Rather, I think our performances should be evaluated by our level of effort, and perhaps the skill that we've worked to acquire. Essentially, I don't think we should be judged by how well we do. Instead, we should be judged by how hard we try.

No comments: