Monday, April 23, 2018

Encouraging our Students

I have the best coworkers. This afternoon, I heard one of them being super-positive and encouraging, saying things like "You've got this," "I have faith in you," and "I'm excited to see the final draft." (I work at a writing tutoring center, in case you didn't know.) I should be more like that. I sometimes admit when things might be challenging, but that's not always what a person needs to hear, even when it's true. Knowing that they're in for a challenge might help them prepare to face it, but making them believe that it won't actually be a challenge for them might be exactly what gives them the courage to face it. I shouldn't misrepresent the difficulties that lie ahead of them, but I shouldn't underestimate them, either. I should have more confidence in my students, and I should encourage them to have confidence in themselves as well.

No comments: